The Faculty of Urban Planning at the University of Kufa conducted a master’s thesis discussion (Urban Sustainability of Historical Buildings and Areas in the Historic City of Najaf) by the student (Raghad Mahdi Muslim Al-Amidi) on Sunday, February 5, 2023. The thesis aims to:
• Improving the urban environment in the center of the old city of Najaf by adopting the concepts of urban sustainability.
• Developing a system to deal with historical buildings and areas by reaching secondary goals that help achieve the main goal
• Identify the concepts of urban sustainability through sustainable development projects for historical buildings
• Attempting to apply the proposed system of standards for the sustainability of buildings.
Among the most important conclusions reached by the researcher:
• The old city of Najaf has an aesthetic, architectural, environmental, economic and social value, but it suffers from neglect and deterioration as a result of inappropriate political interventions, misuse and lack of awareness.
The most important recommendations put forward by the researcher are:
• Activating community participation in preserving historical buildings
• The need to maintain heights that enhance the protection of the visual scene
The need for governmental and financial support for the re-use of historical buildings.
This thesis was accepted as part of the requirements for obtaining a master’s degree.